Sustainability when it comes to packaging has quickly become an important aspect for both consumers and the planet alike, so brands are starting to take more action as seen with new initiatives like the Guinness beer packs. The multi-can packaging is made from cardboard, which is fully recyclable and biodegradable to replace the plastic rings that are traditionally used to keep the cans together. The new multi-can packaging will be rolled out starting in summer 2020 and will help to reduce plastic usage by over 400 tonnes per year.
Global head of Beer for Baileys and Smirnoff at Diageo Mark Sandys spoke on the new Guinness beer packs saying, "Guinness already has one of the most sustainable breweries in the world at St. James’s Gate and we are now leading the way in sustainable packaging. This is good news for the brand, for our wider beer portfolio and for the environment.”
The New Recyclable Guinness Beer Packs will Roll Out in 2020
1. Biodegradable Packaging - The trend of using biodegradable packaging materials is gaining momentum, which provides an opportunity for innovative entrepreneurs to develop new and sustainable packaging solutions.
2. Plastic Reduction - The trend of reducing plastic usage is becoming a norm for brands, giving rise to new opportunities for businesses to develop and market products that are eco-friendly and sustainable.
3. Circular Economy - The circular economy approach is gaining attention to eliminate waste and maximize the use of resources, which creates an opportunity for innovative entrepreneurs to develop and deploy circular business models.
1. Packaging Industry - The packaging industry can leverage biodegradable materials to develop sustainable packaging solutions that cater to the growing demand of eco-conscious customers.
2. Beverage Industry - The beverage industry can reduce plastic usage and implement sustainable packaging solutions like biodegradable cans to reduce their environmental footprint and promote eco-friendliness.
3. Consumer Goods Industry - The consumer goods industry can adopt the circular economy approach, which includes sustainable packaging solutions, to eliminate waste and minimize resource consumption for a greener future.