‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ DVD really hit it out of the ballpark in the branding department with its clever disc design. Rather than simply slapping on graphics from the film the way so many other movies are packaged, Sony opted to make the physical DVD look like a bootlegged copy of the David Fincher masterpiece, complete with Sharpie marker writing sprawled across what looks like a writable disc. The design is both an homage to the film’s protagonist Lisbeth Salander as well as a fun poke at the problem of movie piracy.
This publicity stunt and marketing ploy for ‘The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’ DVD has certainly paid off, as its novelty has been reported on by countless online blogs.
'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' DVD Cleverly Mimics Pirated Films
1. Piracy-themed Packaging - Piracy-themed packaging could be a new trend that catches on in the physical media market.
2. Clever Branding - Clever branding like the bootlegged disc design for 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' DVD could become a trend that catches on with other entertainment brands.
3. Novelty Marketing - Novelty marketing, like the piracy-themed disc design for 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' DVD, can generate buzz and increase brand recognition.
1. Entertainment - Entertainment brands could use clever branding and novelty marketing like the piracy-themed disc design in order to stand out in an increasingly crowded market.
2. Packaging - Packaging companies can offer innovative and playful solutions to help entertainment brands stand out and appeal to consumers.
3. Advertising - Advertisers can use novelty marketing tactics like the piracy-themed disc design to generate buzz and attention for their clients' brands.