As Wired magazine pointed out in their most recent "Free Issue," freeconomics and supplying the world with free products and services is the way of the future.
McDonald's has reaffirmed that gratis is the future of business. This Thursday and Friday, they're giving away 2,000,000 free McSkillet Burritos during breakfast hours; thats one million each day with the purchase of a medium or large drink.
The breakfast wraps stuffed with eggs have been around for a while, but McDonald's clearly believes not enough people have had a chance to try them. Evidently, they think that offering a free taste will breed a nice wave of people needing their McD's fix first thing in the morning. They've actually gone quite far to market them; they have a really fancy, flash website dedicated to the greasy breakfast burritos.
For those who don't know, it's basically all the American breakfast staples rolled together: scrambled eggs, a pork sausage patty, chunky potatoes, peppers, cheese, onions and a salsa topping, all wrapped in a tortilla.
We've seen free food being given out by large chains before. Starbucks, for example, holds an annual Free Coffee Hour in which anyone can grab a tall coffee free of charge.
McDonalds Gives Out Free McSkillet Burritos
1. Freeconomics - The trend of giving away products for free is becoming increasingly popular and can be leveraged by businesses looking to gain more customers.
2. Breakfast Wars - Breakfast menus are becoming increasingly popular and competitive, providing opportunities for companies to differentiate themselves and gain market share.
3. Flash Marketing - The use of flash websites and other marketing methods that create a sense of urgency and exclusivity can be an effective way to promote products and attract customers.
1. Fast Food - This industry can leverage the trend of free food to attract more customers and gain an advantage over competitors.
2. Coffee - Coffee shops and chains can benefit from Starbucks' free coffee hour and consider offering their own promotions to attract new customers.
3. Internet Marketing - The use of flash websites and other attention-grabbing tactics can be an effective way to promote products and services online, particularly in industries such as fast food and coffee where breakfast menus are becoming increasingly popular.