London-based design studio, Pearson Lloyd, created a modern stairlift called 'Flow X' with a modern and sleek design. The studio recognizes that there are very few product innovations for the senior population that focuses on aesthetic design features.
Rather than adhering to the standard medical finishings, Flow X takes cues from modern furniture designs. Pearson Lloyd partnered with mobility specialist Access BDD, a tech company TK Elevator division, to produce the updated model.
The studio opted to improve the ergonomics to make the seat more comfortable. By adding foldable arms, getting in and out of Flow X is made easy. For added safety, the seat and footrest move together on a rotated spine to ensure the user doesn't twist their body.
Image Credit: Fast Company
Flow X is an Accessible Stairlift Design with Sleek Finishings
1. Modern Stairlift Design - There is an opportunity for innovative designs that cater to aesthetic preferences of the senior population.
2. Improved Stairlift Ergonomics - Developing stairlifts with additional features like foldable arms can increase accessibility for senior citizens.
3. Enhanced Stairlift Safety - New, safer designs such as the rotated spine featured in 'Flow X', can improve accessibility for the senior population.
1. Furniture Design Industry - Furniture designers can expand their product range to include modern stairlift designs.
2. Mobility Specialists - There is an opportunity for mobility specialists to develop innovative stairlifts with improved ergonomics and safety features.
3. Elevator Manufacturing Industry - Companies that produce elevators can partner with designers to create attractive stairlift designs that appeal to the senior population.