Scientists at the Institute of Food Research are chomping at the bit to produce a real-life version of Willy Wonka's three-course-meal chewing gum.
The flavor-changing gum will use the same science used in some pharmaceutical products: microcapsules timed to break down in specific parts of the digestive system. With the flavor-changing gum however, the microcapsules will break down in the mouth at different times to deliver different taste sensations.
Just don't count on Oompa Loompas coming to your rescue if you chew too much.
Scientists Creating Flavor-Changing Gum for Future Violet Beauregardes
1. Flavor-changing Gum - Opportunity for creating innovative products that deliver different taste sensations through timed breakdown of microcapsules.
2. Microcapsule Technology - Disruptive innovation in the pharmaceutical industry for targeted drug delivery, now adapted for flavor-changing gum.
3. Personalized Food Experience - Trend towards customized and unique food products that provide a multi-sensory experience through inventive flavor combinations.
1. Food and Beverage - Potential for new product development in the gum and confectionery industry with flavor-changing gum that offers unique taste experiences.
2. Pharmaceutical - Application of microcapsule technology for targeted drug delivery has the potential for disruptive innovation and creating new treatment options.
3. Consumer Goods - Increased demand for personalized and experiential products can drive the development of innovative food and gum products that offer unique sensory experiences.