Herzog & de Meuron designed a biologically filtered swimming pool for the Naturbad Reihen in Switzerland. The Swiss architects responded to a desire from the local residents for an outdoor facility, opting for a more natural approach.
The bathing lake was designed to resemble the traditional wooden pools found along the Rhine river. Its cleanliness is maintained naturally, through water plants and layers of gravel, sand and soil. The absence of chemicals gives the impression that bathers are swimming in an actual lake, rather than a man-made pool.
The architects explain, "The standard geometric swimming pool transforms into a bathing lake where the technical systems and machine rooms vanish, to be substituted by planted filtering cascades."
This Filtered Swimming Pool Acts Like a Lake
1. Biological Filtration Pools - The trend toward more natural, chemical-free swimming pools creates opportunities for companies to innovate with biologically filtered designs.
2. Designing for Sustainability - More architects and designers are responding to growing demand for sustainable outdoor facilities, creating opportunities for industries ranging from construction to tourism.
3. Reimagining Public Spaces - Projects like the Naturbad Reihen show how communities can work with designers to reimagine public spaces and create unique destinations that are both functional and attractive.
1. Swimming Pool Design and Construction - The move toward more natural, sustainable pool designs creates opportunities for innovative companies to lead the way in this growing niche market.
2. Tourism and Outdoor Recreation - Novel outdoor facilities like the Naturbad Reihen have the potential to attract more tourists and visitors to underutilized rural areas, creating opportunities for local businesses and communities.
3. Green Architecture and Sustainable Design - Projects like Naturbad Reihen demonstrate the increasing demand for sustainable design solutions and create opportunities for architects and designers to showcase their skills in creating innovative, eco-friendly spaces.