Metal Magazine's Spring/Summer 2017 cover story spotlights theatrical and exaggerated makeup. The opposite of subtle, the cosmetics are angular and heavy, consisting of sculptural brows and rectangular, overlined lips.
Model Sarah Abney is this cover story's star and also dons precise black liner and a white headscarf that is draped over her platinum blonde hair. Styling for this series is the work of Marcela Jacobina who collaborates with hair stylist Shinya Nakagawa and Allie Smith, in charge of the photoshoot's exaggerated makeup.
Photographer Anna Alek captures this image, referencing vintage, avant-garde scenes while simultaneously paying homage to the world of theatre. While minimalist fashion and beauty looks reigned in past seasons, self-expression is once again prevalent in the ever-changing fashion industry. Inspired by fearless social media influencers, editorial and runway makeup artists are once again creating beauty looks that are more inspiring than they are practical.
Metal's Spring/Summer 2017 Cover Spotlights Exaggerated Makeup
1. Theatrical Makeup - Opportunity for cosmetic companies to create bold and dramatic makeup products.
2. Exaggerated Beauty - Chance for beauty influencers to showcase bold and unconventional beauty looks.
3. Self-expression in Fashion - Space for fashion brands to embrace individuality and creative expression in their designs.
1. Cosmetics Industry - Innovation opportunity for cosmetic companies to cater to the demand for theatrical and exaggerated makeup.
2. Beauty Influencer Industry - Platform for beauty influencers to inspire and promote bold and unconventional beauty looks.
3. Fashion Industry - Potential for fashion brands to embrace self-expression and creativity in their designs and marketing.