Famed Dutch photographer Erwin Olaf rebels against society’s obsession with youth in his photography series, ‘Mature.’
The provocative series features models in their seventies wearing scandalously racy lingerie in seductive and sexual poses.
The series is a reminder that people can be sexy at any age. We should celebrate our body and embrace our age rather than adhere to the society’s narrow-minded formulas and expectations.
Implications - In the last few years, there has been a mini revolution among the Baby Boomer generation. With over 8 million Boomers reaching the age of retirement this year, the children of post WW2 are ready to kick back their heels and enjoy themselves once again. This, combined with the phenomenon of Potentialism due to the economic downturn, has placed Boomers in the media spotlight. Age is no longer something to be feared or prevented, but is a badge of wisdom to be coveted.
Erwin Olaf's ‘Mature' Models Are Over 70 Years Old
1. Celebrating Aging - Embracing the beauty and sensuality of older individuals challenges society's obsession with youth, presenting opportunities for inclusive fashion, advertising, and media campaigns.
2. Body Positivity at Any Age - The push for body positivity extends to all ages, creating opportunities for diverse representation and age-inclusive products and services.
3. Silver Revolution - The increasing number of Baby Boomers entering retirement presents opportunities for industries to cater to their unique needs and desires, from travel and leisure to healthcare and wellness.
1. Fashion and Apparel - The fashion and apparel industry can tap into the trend of celebrating aging by featuring older models and creating age-inclusive designs and campaigns.
2. Advertising and Marketing - The advertising and marketing industry can contribute to body positivity at any age by promoting diverse beauty standards and challenging age stereotypes in their campaigns.
3. Travel and Leisure - The travel and leisure industry can cater to the growing Baby Boomer demographic by offering age-friendly destinations, experiences, and accommodations.