Edgar and Joe’s Cafe, newly opened in London, ON, has decided to be more than merely an awesome place to grab lunch by tackling the social enterprise sector. The purpose of the cafe, partnered with Goodwill, aims to serve the community through social hiring initiatives, a commitment to localized ingredients, and create a conversation between the cafe itself and the surrounding community.
At Edgar and Joe’s Cafe, they look to “provide a platform to dialogue, showcase success stories and learn/understand mental illness and social disadvantage with a view to breaking down stigma and eliminating attitudinal barriers,” according to its site. Located in London’s SOHO neighborhood, a struggling area, Edgar and Joe’s cafe hopes to replenish the area with good business practices and a community-oriented gourmet eatery. “We want the guys who are working in the buildings down the road and across the street. We want a Saturday and Sunday brunch and breakfast crowd. It is really an opportunity to open the doors and embrace a diverse community,” describes Michelle Quintyn, chief executive of Goodwill Industries Ontario Great Lakes.
Edgar and Joe’s Cafe in London Aims to Serve the Community
1. Social Entrepreneurship - Edgar and Joe's Cafe's partnership with Goodwill and commitment to social hiring initiatives to serve and revitalize the struggling SOHO neighborhood in London offers innovation opportunities for businesses looking to incorporate social enterprise in their business model.
2. Localized Ingredients - Edgar and Joe's Cafe's commitment to serving locally sourced ingredients highlights the trend of using sustainable and locally sourced ingredients in the food industry, offering a window of opportunity for businesses to incorporate this trend in their business model.
3. Community-oriented Businesses - Edgar and Joe's Cafe's dedication to creating a conversation between itself and its surrounding community highlights the trend of businesses being more engaged in their local communities, which can spark new opportunities for innovation in community involvement and engagement.
1. Food and Beverage - Edgar and Joe's Cafe's emphasis on community and localized ingredients presents innovation opportunities for food and beverage businesses seeking to enhance their commitment to sustainability and responsibility.
2. Non-profit Organizations - The partnership between Edgar and Joe's Cafe and Goodwill highlights opportunities for non-profit organizations to establish innovative social enterprises that uplift communities and promote employment opportunities for marginalized groups.
3. Small Business - Edgar and Joe's Cafe's commitment to serving the local community symbolizes an opportunity for small businesses to follow a customer and community-centric approach, potentially benefitting their brand.