The message of Earth Hour 2008 is that helping earth starts with us as individuals. Turning the lights off at our own home for one hour sends a message that small acts of awareness, no matter how insignificant, can help towards a better future for us all.
Three young Malaysian school students in Maxwell Secondary School were inspired by the Earth Hour message and started spreading the awareness in their community and school. It started with printing and distributing fliers and buttons of the 60 Earth Hour and ended up raising awareness among the young generation and coming up with ideas to help save planet earth such as car pooling to school, using Earth hankies instead of tissue papers and reducing the use of polystirine boxes for lunch boxes.
Although we have seen big billboards and elaborate promotion in many places, it’s small initiatives and stories like this that shows us that we all can help in our own way.
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia (Guerrilla School Story)
1. Individual Environmental Actions - Opportunities for businesses to create products or services that encourage individuals to take small, impactful actions to help the environment.
2. Community-led Awareness Campaigns - Potential for businesses to support and collaborate with community-led initiatives that raise awareness about environmental issues.
3. Youth-led Sustainability Innovations - Potential for businesses to collaborate with young individuals and leverage their innovative ideas for sustainable practices and products.
1. Environmental Sustainability - Opportunities for businesses to develop eco-friendly products or services that support individual and community efforts to protect the environment.
2. Education and Awareness - Opportunities for businesses to provide educational resources and tools to raise awareness about environmental issues among communities and individuals.
3. Youth Empowerment and Innovation - Opportunities for businesses to support and invest in youth-led initiatives, fostering innovation and sustainability.