The Dinner Club is both an art project as an experiment in social furniture with a dinner table designed to provide a flat surface for patrons to eat at only if everyone at the table can get along with one another. The table is designed with the intention of expressing the themes of familial bonding and exposing undiscussed tension in the home.
The table is specially built on top of a plate constructed using MDF and rests on a semi-circle orb made of steel. This leaves the table prone to shifting with uneven weight that can occur on the base if members of the family are missing from the table. The guests dining at the table are encourage to adjust the weight cooperatively and to disperse it evenly so that the table remains perfectly flat and, by extension, harmonious.
The Dinner Club Table Requires Guests to Get Along to Stay Steady
1. Social Furniture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Designing furniture that encourages social interactions and requires collaboration for optimal use.
2. Experimental Dining - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Creating unique dining experiences that go beyond the traditional concept of a meal.
3. Emotional Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Incorporating emotional elements into product design to evoke specific feelings and reactions.
1. Furniture Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing innovative furniture concepts that enhance social interactions and promote collaboration.
2. Hospitality and Events - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introducing experimental dining experiences to create memorable and immersive events.
3. Product Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Exploring emotional design principles to create products that resonate with users on a deeper level.