The San Francisco-based startup Zipline is currently using drones to deliver blood to rural parts of Rwanda for emergency transfusions. In countries where there is little rural infrastructure, it can be hard to get medical supplies to those in need. This company has found a way to overcome these kinds of infrastructure barriers by enlisting a feet of aircraft-style drones.
Zipline began testing the new service last year as a way to support clinics that do not have a reliable way to store blood. With the help of Zipline, the country now stores all of its blood in just two centralized blood banks. When a transfusion is needed, the company will deliver blood via its own fleet of specially designed drones.
While many companies are using drones to deliver consumer products, this initiative demonstrates how the airborne devices could also be used to save the lives of those in need.
This Company is Using Drones to Deliver Blood to Rural Parts of Rwanda
1. Medical Delivery Drones - The use of drones for medical delivery is disrupting the healthcare industry by reducing response time and improving emergency services in rural areas.
2. Centralized Blood Banks - Centralizing blood banks using advanced logistics management techniques like drones is disrupting the blood donations industry by improving real-time monitoring, inventory management, and minimizing blood wastage.
3. Integrated Drone Services - Integrating drone services into the healthcare logistics ecosystem is disrupting multiple industries including transportation, aviation, and healthcare by improving speed, accuracy, and cost-effectiveness.
1. Healthcare - The healthcare industry has the most to gain from medical delivery drones as it can improve emergency services, reduce response time, and improve patient outcomes.
2. Logistics Management - The logistics management industry can benefit from centralized blood banks using drones to improve last-mile deliveries and minimize wastage, ultimately resulting in cost savings and improved efficiency.
3. Aviation - Aviation companies can leverage the growth in drone delivery services, particularly in healthcare, to expand their operations and open up new business opportunities.