As RealPlayer was developing its newest app for the Andriod phone, it noticed the drastic change in the way people use their electronics and how it is changing the ancient idea of the couch potato. As people watch TV they are constantly plugged into social media. 88 percent of TV users are multi-tasking on their tablets, 86 percent are on their smartphones and 52 percent are using a regular cellphone.
Soon people will have no attention span for commercials as 73 percent of people say they are using their smartphone devices during the dreaded commercial break. When talking about a particular TV show, Twitter is the most used source to date, dominating over Facebook and all other social media outlets. The chart shows that Pretty Little Liars is the most talked about show to date.
The Couch Potato is Extinct by RealPlayer Focuses on Twitter over TV
1. Couch-potato Extinction - As multi-tasking on devices dominates TV viewing, opportunities arise for apps and technology that integrate mobile devices with TV shows.
2. Social Media Dominance - As Twitter replaces other social media outlets in TV show discussions, there is a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to create more interactive and engaging social media platforms.
3. Commercial Break Neglect - With the majority of people using their smartphones during commercial breaks, there is a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to create more engaging commercials that integrate with social media.
1. Mobile App Development - With the dominance of multi-tasking on devices while watching TV, there is a disruptive innovation opportunity for developers to create apps that offer an integrated viewing experience and features that enrich the viewing experience.
2. Social Media - As Twitter dominates conversation during TV shows, there is a disruptive innovation opportunity for companies to create more engaging, interactive, and seamless social media platforms for TV show discussions.
3. Marketing & Advertising - With the neglect of commercial breaks, there is a disruptive innovation opportunity for marketers and advertisers to create more engaging and interactive commercials that capture and hold the viewer's attention, and seamlessly integrate with social media.