Douwe Egberts, a South African coffee company, came up with a incredibly clever marketing campaign; a coffee vending machine that uses facial recognition to detect when a person yawns in order to dispense a free coffee (the idea being that coffee is most often used to give weary people a quick boost of energy).
The company set the machine up at the O.R. Tambo International Airport and recorded as the exhausted travellers gradually figured out the secret behind this intelligent machine. Slowly but surely people began to take notice of the machine but without the ability to pay, they became quickly confused. Once they figured out it was activated through yawns, smiles began to spread amongst the crowds. Such clever marketing is a great way to form numerous brand associations with the Douwe Egbert product. Not only are consumers being treated to a free cup of coffee, but it was done in such an interactive way that the happiness derived from the experience is also associated with the brand.
Douwe Egberts' Coffee Machine is Clever Marketing
1. Facial Recognition Vending Machines - Opportunity for businesses to create interactive and engaging marketing campaigns using facial recognition technology.
2. Experiential Marketing - Companies can enhance brand association and customer engagement by creating memorable experiences like the yawn-activated vending machine.
3. Gamification in Marketing - Using game-like elements such as solving puzzles or discovering hidden features can create an interactive and entertaining marketing experience.
1. Coffee Industry - Coffee companies can capitalize on innovative marketing strategies to promote their products and attract new customers.
2. Technology Industry - Opportunity for technology companies to develop facial recognition systems and interactive vending machines for various applications.
3. Advertising Industry - Creative agencies can leverage interactive marketing concepts like the yawn-activated vending machine to offer unique and engaging solutions for their clients.