Finding a playmate during recess can be daunting for many, especially with bullying running rampant -- at least according to many news outlets of late. Yet the introduction of buddy benches could make a big difference. A school in Canada, Saskatoon's Willowgrove School, has implemented one itself just recently and has already experienced a great shift.
Buddy benches are fairly simple concepts. When a child has no one to play with, he or she simply sits on the bench until someone approaches them. CBC Saskatoon covered the new friendship tool, interviewing one boy who said, "Before I've seen people walking around by themselves. And then once we got these I've seen a lot more people with friends to play with."
A Canadian School Introduces a Way to Ensure Kids Have Someone to Play With
1. Buddy Benches - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Implementing buddy benches in schools to foster inclusivity and provide a solution for children who struggle to find playmates.
2. Inclusive Playgrounds - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Designing inclusive playgrounds that incorporate features like buddy benches to encourage social interaction and reduce feelings of exclusion.
3. Anti-bullying Initiatives - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Developing comprehensive anti-bullying programs that promote empathy, connection, and support in schools, with buddy benches as a part of the strategy.
1. Education - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Introducing buddy benches and related concepts in educational institutions, such as schools and colleges, to address social isolation and promote positive social interactions among students.
2. Playground Equipment Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Innovating playground equipment by incorporating features like buddy benches to promote inclusivity and enhance social experiences for children.
3. Childcare Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Integrating buddy benches into childcare facilities to encourage friendship-building among children and create a sense of belonging and support.