Paul Coudamy is an artist from France who sees tourism differently through the use of a blindfold.
In his project, titled ‘Blind Tourism,’ a guide brings you to a predetermined location near Tirana, Albania. Once there, you are then blindfolded with a sleeping mask. The guide walks you around with verbal commentaries of your surroundings. You are also expected to describe your sensations, which are all recorded on film.
After your tour, you can view the film of your adventure. The recorded visual and verbal commentaries meld together the sensations you have felt with what you have not seen.
This is truly a sensation overload from sites you may not have even thought twice of visiting due to your own unintended visual pre-judging.
The Blind Tourism Project
1. Sensory Tourism - Opportunity to create immersive travel experiences that engage all senses, including sound, touch, taste, and smell.
2. Blindfolded Experiences - Development of blindfolded activities and tours that challenge perception and heighten other senses.
3. Multimedia Documentation - Rise of multimedia platforms that capture and enhance sensory experiences for later viewing.
1. Travel and Tourism - Innovations in blindfolded tours and sensory travel experiences can attract adventurous travelers seeking unique and immersive journeys.
2. Entertainment - Opportunity to create blindfolded experiences in theme parks, escape rooms, and virtual reality attractions that offer thrill and surprise.
3. Media and Technology - Demand for innovative multimedia platforms and technologies to capture and present sensory experiences for entertainment and educational purposes.