The BMW x Apple CarKey has been announced as a new Digital Key collaboration between the two brands that will offer drivers with an intuitive way to easily access their vehicle. The functionality will allow BMW owners to simply set up their iPhone for use with the car and will utilize wireless technology in order to offer drivers easy access in a contact-free manner. Users can keep their car key in the Apple Wallet app in order to easily access it at leisure, while also allowing drivers to share access with family members and friends.
The BMW x Apple CarKey collaboration will be compatible with the iPhone XR, iPhone XS or newer smartphones as well as Apple Watch Series 5 devices and up. The Digital Key will be available in 45 countries for vehicle models manufactured after July 1, 2020.
The BMW x Apple CarKey Streamlines Vehicular Access
1. Digital Car Keys - The trend towards digital car keys utilizing wireless technology allows for easy and contact-free access to vehicles, providing opportunities for further integration with mobile devices and enhanced security features.
2. Collaborative Technology Partnerships - Collaborative technology partnerships between automotive and mobile companies offer opportunities for innovative and intuitive access to cars through smartphones which can change the future of car key systems.
3. Mobile Wallet Integration - Integration of car keys into mobile wallets offers new opportunities for ease of use and sharing while also providing opportunities for increased security measures and new value-added features such as automated car rental.
1. Automotive Industry - The automotive industry can continue to innovate and differentiate with security features and enhanced experiences through further integration with emerging mobile technologies through different partnerships.
2. Mobile Industry - Mobile manufacturers and their component suppliers have an opportunity to partner with the automotive industry to mainstream technological breakthroughs in digital car keys for enhanced user experiences.
3. Payment Industry - The car key, once integrated into the mobile wallet platforms, can change the way people think about digital payments while also creating new payment opportunities such as subscription-based models.