Barbie giant Mattel has recently come up with a rather controversial take on children’s toys with their American Girl homeless doll named Gwen.
Gwen, the American Girl homeless doll, is sold with a biography, a sorrowful story that involves her father walking out on her and her mother losing her job. Eventually, the background story states, Gwen and her mother ended up living in a car.
Sold for $95, the price seems a little contradictory for Mattel to be selling a sad-storied homeless doll for a rather steep price.
Check out some of the other American Girl dolls and available accessories in the gallery above.
New American Girl Homeless Doll Raises Questions About Morals
1. Controversial Toys - There is a growing trend of controversial toys that raise questions about societal values and ethical concerns.
2. Storytelling Dolls - Dolls with detailed backgrounds and emotional narratives are gaining popularity as children seek more immersive play experiences.
3. Social Impact Branding - Companies are leveraging social issues to create unique brand narratives and drive consumer engagement and awareness.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Toy manufacturers can explore the production of dolls with compelling stories and thoughtful themes that resonate with modern consumers.
2. Ethical Consumer Goods - The rise of controversial toys opens up opportunities for brands to create ethically conscious consumer goods and engage with socially conscious consumers.
3. Narrative-driven Marketing - Brands across industries can incorporate storytelling techniques into their marketing campaigns to connect with consumers on a deeper emotional level.