YouAreBlind.Com is a project started by the Russian charity ‘The Right to Smile’ and Hungry Boys agency that aims to make urban Russia more accessible to those who are sight-impaired.
The project sent out envelopes containing a blindfold to major creative companies and directors of advertising agencies in Moscow. The goal was to get people who heavily rely on their sight for their occupation to try going without it. While wearing the blindfold, the recipients were asked to do menial tasks, like walk around their office building or making a cup of coffee.
By encouraging people to experience blindness first hand, YouAreBlind.Com hoped to create a conversation that would stop labeling those who are sight impaired as helpless. And as a result, come up with suggestions on how to make the cities of Russia vision impaired-friendly.
YouAreBlind.Com Challenged Creative Teams to Lose Their Vision
1. Sight Impairment Simulation - There is a growing trend towards creating experiences that simulate the challenges of living with a sight impairment.
2. Accessibility Design - There is a trend towards incorporating accessibility designs in urban planning and architecture.
3. Empathy Training - There is a trend towards using empathy training to improve awareness and understanding of people with disabilities.
1. Charities and Non-profits - Charities and non-profit organizations can leverage sight impairment simulation projects to create awareness and raise funds for their causes.
2. Advertising and Marketing - Advertising and marketing companies can incorporate accessibility design in their campaigns to promote inclusive messaging.
3. Architecture and Urban Planning - Architecture and urban planning firms can invest in empathy training programs to improve designs that consider the needs of all individuals, including the visually impaired.