Though we should never minimilize the impact of history, the Wonchan Lee ‘Minimalist Modern History’ series successfully does so. Created by Melbourne, Australia-based communication artist Wonchan Lee, the series shows 10 specific historical events. Through this series, Lee tried to capture the essence of almost half a millennium.
The events chosen range from the 15th-19th century and happened within North America and Europe. Lee uses simplified images to symbolize the Renaissance, the Protestant Reformation, the Declaration of Independence and the Industrial Revolution to name a few. By using only the basics, Lee enhances the iconic nature of the graphics symbolizing so much more.
As Lee says on his website, “history itself is iconic,” hence lending it to this project perfectly. Plus, these gorgeous graphics provide an easy refresher course on the past.
The Wonchan Lee ‘Minimalist Modern History’ is Educational
1. Simplified Historical Imagery - The use of simplified images to represent iconic events in history presents an opportunity for disrupting traditional historical representations.
2. Iconic Communication - The success of the ‘Minimalist Modern History’ series highlights an opportunity for iconic communication strategies in education and beyond.
3. Minimalist Design - The minimalist design trend can be applied to a wide range of industries and products, disrupting traditional aesthetics and improving functionality.
1. Education - Incorporating simplified iconography in educational materials can enhance student engagement and retention.
2. Graphic Design - The minimalist design trend presents an opportunity for graphic designers to create iconic visuals with simple yet effective imagery.
3. Marketing - Iconic communication strategies can be applied to marketing campaigns to create memorable branding and messaging.