Wendy MacNaughton is a San Francisco-based artist who developed an idea where she would illustrate a series of comics highlighting some of the cities smallest microcommunities. The series, entitled 'Meanwhile,' presents a humanizing insight into social communities, so small that the people in them may not even realize they're a subculture.
In her latest work from the series, 'The San Francisco Public Library,' Wendy MacNaughton's artwork displays the racial, economic and social differences in the people that visit the San Francisco Public Library on a daily basis. She extrapolates this diversity to explain how the San Francisco Public Library works as a perfect microcosm of the city. It is a city rich with life, culture and community. The library represents a free area where people from all walks of life sit next to one another with the sole goal of self-improvement and intellectual stimulation.
Wendy MacNaughton Illustrates Small Communities in Big Cities
1. Illustrated Microcommunities - Opportunity for artists to create and share illustrated representations of smaller social communities in big cities, which could also serve as a tool for urban planners and researchers to understand subcultures better.
2. Humanizing Diversity - Opportunity to showcase diversity and representation in social communities that are often under-represented or ignored, leading to more significant tolerance and acceptance in society.
3. The Rise of Art for Social Change - Opportunity for art to be used to amplify the voices of marginalized communities, leading to improved inclusivity and social justice.
1. Art - Artists and illustrators can use this format to showcase their work and reach a broader audience.
2. Publishing - Opportunity for publishers to produce stories on diverse subcultures and microcommunities to promote inclusivity and elevate lesser-known communities in literature.
3. Urban Planning/sociology - Illustrated microcommunities can be used as essential tools in understanding subcultures that help design social and urban policies, leading to better social integration and a more sustainable urban environment.