Vans' Eco Theory collection features some of the brand's most recognizable styles, now with sustainable and vegan designs. The collection features the lace-up Authentic sneakers, Slip-Ons, SK8-Hi high tops and classic Style 36 designs, which retain signature details like black and white checks and side stripes.
Rather than using materials like suede, petroleum-based rubber and chemically treated dyes, Vans opted for alternatives such as organic cotton, cork, natural rubber, hemp, and water-based inks and glues with Eco Theory. Notably, the SK8-HI Decon 38 high tops have canvas uppers made with 100% organically grown cotton.
Like Vans, many footwear brands are revamping some of their most popular styles with more sustainable materials and manufacturing processes to support the environment and consumers who are eager to make more eco-friendly investments.
Vans' Eco Theory Collection Sustainably Revamps Four Iconic Styles
1. Sustainable Footwear - Revamping familiar shoe designs with more environmentally friendly materials presents an opportunity for footwear companies to meet the growing demand for eco-conscious products.
2. Plant-based Materials - Using alternative materials such as organic cotton, cork and hemp presents an opportunity for companies to tap into the growing demand for plant-based alternatives to animal products.
3. Water-based Inks and Glues - Replacing petroleum-based materials in footwear production with water-based alternatives presents an opportunity for companies to reduce their carbon footprint and offer more environmentally sustainable products.
1. Footwear - Footwear companies can develop more environmentally sustainable products by using alternative materials and manufacturing processes.
2. Fashion - Sustainable footwear presents an opportunity for fashion companies to meet the growing demand for eco-friendly and ethical products.
3. Textiles - Developing and utilizing plant-based materials for footwear production presents an opportunity for textile companies to produce more environmentally sustainable products.