TrendHunter.com has received a lot of love from the media, but it has also been featured as case studies in marketing and business books. It was even featured in Cool Careers For Dummies by Marty Nemko and Richard Nelson Bolles.
TrendHunter.com is much more than a neat place to find out about the next big thing, cutting edge innovation and the most unique things on the web; it’s also a media portal of the future, and is widely studied by professionals and futurists.
Cool Careers for Dummies featured TrendHunter.com as one of their ‘Neat Niche’ resources, sourcing as as their key occupational example of a Trend Spotter on page 103.
Trend spotters visit clubs, cafes, and malls to see what new things people are buying. They develop the next “in” thing. In addition to retailers, trend spotters are hired by department store chains, e-commerce sites, high-tech equipment manufacturers, ad agencies, and even the government. For example, when a city wants to see what’s in store for it, it may send a trend spotter to Berkeley, California.
1. Neat Niche Resources - There are opportunities for businesses to create and market specialized resources for specific industries or interests.
2. Trend Spotters - The role of trend spotters can be expanded beyond consumer retail to include industries such as department stores, e-commerce, high-tech equipment, advertising, and government.
3. Media Portals of the Future - There is room for innovation in the development of media portals that go beyond content consumption and provide unique and valuable insights to professionals and futurists.
1. Retail - Retailers can leverage trend spotting strategies to stay ahead of consumer demands and develop new products or services based on emerging trends.
2. E-commerce - E-commerce sites can employ trend spotters to identify new products or consumer behaviors that can drive sales and help them remain competitive in the online marketplace.
3. Advertising - Ad agencies can incorporate trend spotting into their strategies to create innovative and relevant marketing campaigns that resonate with target audiences.