The Tokyo Tribal Collection from Nendo is unified by one thing: bamboo. The chairs, stools, coat rack and tables that make up this 22-piece collection aren't made out of the stuff, though. Instead, they each feature a bamboo element, such as a chair back or a small basket. Nendo collaborated with Filipino artisans who wove each piece by hand.
The design firm has used bamboo in a truly novel and modern way. Most creatives don't bother with weaving and simply use the sturdy and fast-growing wood to construct eco-friendly sets of furniture. The Tokyo Tribal Collection puts a pin on that, creating new pieces of furniture, such as a stool with a fold-up skirt and a turtle-backed chair. Designers have taken to bamboo, and here's hoping they continue to do more with it.
Nendo's Tokyo Tribal Collection Uses Wood for Weaving
1. Innovative Bamboo Furniture - The Tokyo Tribal Collection showcases a novel approach to incorporating bamboo into furniture design, inspiring further exploration and innovation in this area.
2. Handcrafted Artisan Collaboration - The collaboration with Filipino artisans highlights the potential for unique, handcrafted creations in the furniture industry, opening up opportunities for disruptive innovation.
3. Exploring Bamboo Weaving Techniques - Nendo's use of bamboo in weaving techniques presents an avenue for designers and manufacturers to experiment with traditional and contemporary weaving methods, creating disruptive product offerings.
1. Furniture Design - The Tokyo Tribal Collection demonstrates new possibilities for bamboo furniture, encouraging furniture designers to rethink their approaches and embrace sustainable materials.
2. Artisan Crafts - The collaboration with Filipino weavers highlights the potential for artisan crafts to thrive in the furniture industry, creating opportunities for unique and customized products.
3. Sustainable Materials - The innovative use of bamboo in the Tokyo Tribal Collection brings attention to the demand for sustainable materials in the furniture industry, paving the way for disruptive solutions and eco-friendly alternatives.