Launched in late 2014 by Nordic company Aspiro, Tidal is a subscription-based music streaming service offering a tiered payment platform. Tidal differs from other music subscription services based on its lossless audio capabilities and high definition music videos.
The company is probably most well-known for its new owner, Jay Z. Acquired by Jay Z's company Project Panther Ltd., Tidal received an impressive show of support from some of his friends and family, including Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, Rihanna, Kanye West, Daft Punk, Madonna, Chris Martin and Jason Aldean, all of whom are also part owners of the service. Thus far, Rihanna has released a video for her track "American Oxygen," while Beyonce and Nicki Minaj launched their 'Feelin' Myself' video on the platform as well.
Tidal is a Quality-Focused, Subscription-Based Music Service
1. Lossless Audio - Innovative streaming platforms could explore lossless audio capabilities, providing music lovers with high-quality sound and a premium listening experience.
2. Subscription-based Services - The rise of subscription-based music services highlights the demand for convenient and affordable access to a wide range of music, creating opportunities for new business models.
3. Artist-owned Platforms - Artist-owned streaming platforms, like Tidal, offer artists more control over their content and revenue streams, enabling disruptive innovation in the music industry.
1. Music Streaming - Lossless music streaming platforms present a disruptive innovation opportunity for the music streaming industry, providing a differentiating factor for audiophiles.
2. Entertainment - Subscription-based music services disrupt the traditional entertainment industry by providing consumers with more personalized and accessible music experiences.
3. Music Artists and Labels - Artist-owned platforms offer musicians and labels a new way to directly distribute and monetize their music, potentially disrupting the existing power dynamic in the industry.