The designer of this symptom simulator recognizes that one of the best approaches to curing a medical disorder is to better understand the experience of those who are suffering from it. Now, researchers and family members alike can begin to appreciate the overpowering and debilitating state of dementia with an egg-shaped helmet that impairs and obscures all of the senses.
Di Peng's Dementia Simulator has a frosted casing with distorting eye-wear inside. An inhibiting mouthpiece makes it difficult to speak, and a noises and voices are played into the user's ears to imitate sound-based hallucinations. Essentially, the wearer perceives a severely skewed impression of his surroundings and finds it extremely difficult to communicate. With the awareness that this symptom simulator inspires, no doubt there will be further creative developments in products that make living with the disease more tolerable.
This Hi-Tech Helmet Enables People to Experience Dementia
1. Dementia Simulation - Opportunity for developing innovative products that accurately simulate the experience of dementia to raise awareness and empathy.
2. Empathy-driven Healthcare - Potential for advancements in healthcare that prioritize understanding and experiencing medical disorders to improve treatment and support.
3. Assistive Technologies for Dementia - Disruptive innovation potential in creating assistive technologies that enhance communication and quality of life for individuals living with dementia.
1. Healthcare - Opportunity for healthcare providers and assistive technology companies to develop user-centric products and services for individuals with dementia.
2. Medical Training - Potential for medical training institutions to incorporate dementia simulators to educate healthcare professionals on the realities of the disease.
3. Design and Technology - Disruptive potential in the design and technology industry to create innovative solutions that address the challenges faced by individuals with dementia.