Artist Summer Allen discovered an interesting phenomenon occurring among readers of Kinfolk Magazine. Known for its minimalist and visually appealing esthetic, the "slow lifestyle" brand has cultivated a community of followers who have alarmingly similar social media feeds. In a tumblr blog called The Kinspiracy, Summer Allen compiles captures of the Instagram feeds of Kinfolk readers to demonstrate their lack of artistic diversity. Not necessarily a parody, the blog brings attention to the patterns at play.
The blog features user submissions as well, which all show an overhead shot of the magazine as the top left image in a group of four. The other photos include subject matter such as lattes, ice cream, bicycles, oranges, glasses and tea cups and singular examples of plant life.
Summer Allen Compiles Kinfolk Magazine-Themed Mimicry in The Kinspiracy
1. Social Media Mimicry - Developing social media tools to identify and alleviate the phenomenon of highly similar social media feeds.
2. Artistic Diversity Advocacy - Creating platforms and campaigns that promote originality and diversity in artistic expressions and lifestyles.
3. Alternative Lifestyle Branding - Introducing new aesthetics and concepts that counter minimalist and homogeneous lifestyles and appeal to a diverse audience.
1. Social Media Management - Creating social media management tools that foster authentic self-expression and artistic diversity among users.
2. Artistic and Creative Consulting - Providing consultation on how to incorporate original and diverse elements and perspectives into branding and marketing strategies.
3. Diverse Lifestyle Brands - Creating lifestyle brands that cater to diverse interests, aesthetics, and values and foster originality and creativity among followers.