I can't imagine what a simple seating object might have done that could have been so offensive, yet we have this spiked chair by Colin Tury that appears to have experienced quite the assault. What likely began as a basic wooden perch has been rendered nearly unrecognizable from at least one angle, incorporating timber stakes that penetrate its frame.
Thick barbs of varying lengths have been lodged into the lumber structure along one side. They pierce the backrest, the seat, and a front and a back leg. The surface that immediately surrounds the points of entry has been darkened with a charcoal finish. It looks as though the spiked chair by Colin Tury has been burned as well, or perhaps received the impact and the shrapnel of an explosive.
This Chair by Colin Tury Looks Like the Victim of a Violent Attack
1. Sculptural Seating - Explore innovative designs that challenge traditional notions of seating and create unique visual statements.
2. Violent-inspired Furniture - Discover how furniture designers are incorporating elements of violence and destruction into their creations to spark conversations and provoke emotions.
3. Disrupted Form and Function - Witness the transformation of ordinary seating objects into visually striking and unconventional pieces that challenge the traditional concept of chairs.
1. Furniture Design - Opportunity for furniture designers to push boundaries and create unconventional seating designs that make a bold statement.
2. Interior Design - Interior designers can incorporate sculptural seating pieces into their projects to add a unique and visually captivating element to spaces.
3. Art and Sculpture - Artists and sculptors can explore the incorporation of violence-inspired elements into their work, blurring the line between furniture and artistic expression.