San Francisco is evolving. ...at least in terms of its boats to Alcatraz, which will now be replaced with the world's first sun and wind powered ferries.
"The slickest feature? The triple-hulled vessel will have a 45-foot high retractable wing covered in solar panels that can generate 20 kilowatts of electricity to help take the load off the two diesel engines. 600pax_tri_side_lr The wing also generates some 170 hp on its own as a sail. When conditions get hairy and the wind hits 30+ knots (that's when many sailboats start to de-mast), the wings fold up, all beetle-like, and the ferry operates like one of its older counterparts All this is based on a similar ferry that's already been in operation in Sydney for a couple years." - Business Blog
San Francisco Evolves
1. Solar-powered Ferries - The development of solar-powered ferries presents a disruptive innovation opportunity in the transportation industry.
2. Renewable Energy Integration - The integration of solar and wind power in ferry transportation showcases the potential for disruptive innovation in the renewable energy sector.
3. Advanced Hull Designs - The use of triple-hulled vessels in the ferry industry opens up disruptive innovation opportunities for improved stability and efficiency.
1. Transportation - The solar-powered hybrid ferry trend offers disruptive innovation opportunities in the transportation industry, particularly for reducing emissions and reliance on traditional energy sources.
2. Renewable Energy - The solar and wind power integration in ferry systems signals disruptive innovation potential in the renewable energy industry, enabling more sustainable and eco-friendly options.
3. Shipbuilding - The development of advanced hull designs for triple-hulled vessels in the ferry sector creates disruptive innovation opportunities for shipbuilding companies, leading to more efficient and reliable vessels.