A new soft plastics collection program is being launched by Aldi in the UK to offer customers with a way to ensure that plastic refuse is properly recycled. The collection bins are being rolled out to 20 supermarket locations across Yorkshire, Derbyshire and Greater Manchester, and will accommodate soft plastic varieties no matter where they were originally purchased. The collection bins will be rolled out to the brand's 900 stores across the UK if the trial is a success.
Plastic and Packaging Director at Aldi UK Richard Gorman spoke on the new soft plastics collection program saying, "We know our customers are environmentally conscious, and as a responsible retailer, we are always striving to reduce plastic waste wherever possible. Our latest trial is another step in the right direction, as we work towards being able to offer shoppers an option to bring back to our stores problem plastic that might not be recycled by their local councils. We will be monitoring the trial closely, and we hope that customers utilise our collection bins so that we can look at expanding this into more stores.”
Aldi is Trialling Soft Plastics Collection in the UK
1. Soft-plastics Recycling Program Expansion - Aldi's successful trial program may prompt expansion of soft-plastics recycling programs to more supermarket stores.
2. Consumer Demand for Plastic Waste Reduction - The roll-out of soft plastics collection bins demonstrates consumer demand for more responsible packaging and plastic waste reduction.
3. Sustainable Business Practices - More companies may follow Aldi's example of implementing sustainable business practices and environmentally conscious initiatives.
1. Retail Industry - The retail industry has an opportunity to implement more soft-plastics recycling programs in order to reduce plastic waste and respond to consumer demand.
2. Waste Management Industry - The waste management industry can benefit from increased demand for effective and environmentally friendly ways to recycle soft plastics.
3. Packaging Industry - Companies in the packaging industry can innovate by using more sustainable materials and designing packaging that can be easily recycled or reused.