A Belgian pilot project is set to launch in SNCB train stations across the country to provide Belgian travelers and local residents with fresh, locally produced fruit and vegetables. As of May 21st, consumers will be able to order fresh fruit and vegetables online and collect them from one of the participating train stations.
Products can be pre-ordered to the customer's desired train station for easy pick-up. The goal is to encourage locally sourced produce consumption.
The collection will occur once a week at the Gent-Sint-Pieters station, in Flanders, and at the Liège-Guillemins, Ottignies and Braine-le-Comte train stations in Wallonia. Initially set to run for one year, the project may be extended and expanded to other stations, depending on its success and consumer habits.
Image Credit: Shutter Stock
SNCB Train Stations in Belgium are Fresh Produce Pick-Up Hubs
1. Locally-sourced Produce - The increasing demand for locally sourced fresh produce is an opportunity for farmers market businesses, grocery store chains, and online grocery delivery services.
2. Online Ordering and Pick-up Services - There is an opportunity for transport companies, train stations, and retailers to implement online ordering and pick-up services for delivering fresh produce to customers in a convenient way.
3. Alternative Distribution Channels - A trend towards alternative distribution channels, such as train stations, can be a disruptive innovation for the fresh produce industry and redefine the way consumers access fresh produce.
1. Transportation - The transportation industry can explore partnerships with farmers and grocery stores to provide fresh produce delivery services to customers via online ordering and pick-up services.
2. Retail - Retailers can tap into the trend of locally sourced produce and online ordering/pick-up services to reach new customers and compete with traditional grocery stores.
3. Agriculture - The agriculture industry can leverage the trend of alternative distribution channels, such as train stations, to reach more customers and expand their market reach.