Researchers at Columbia University have built a smartphone accessory known as 'Dongle' that detects HIV in 15 minutes. The device competes with other expensive medical HIV diagnostic tools that are already out today, delivering accurate results in a span of just 15 minutes, with just a single prick of the finger. The smartphone accessory has already been successfully tested for two weeks in Kigali, Rwanda by 96 patients.
At a low cost of just $34 to make, this device can be the answer to decrease the spread of HIV in Africa and other developing countries. It uses smartphone technology platform to cut costs on a higher level. Early detection allows the spread of HIV to be reduced, so a 15 minute result on a smartphone is astonishing.
According to the Centers for Disease Control, women who detect HIV early, and who along with medical recommendation, take antiretroviral medication, can reduce the risk of transmitting HIV to their offspring to less than 1 percent.
Only time will tell, when the Dongle will be available. Dongle is compatible with Android, iPhone, iPod touch, and any smartphone that is able to run apps. The device still awaits World Health Organization regulatory approval, with the hope it will be accessible to those areas around the world that need it most.
This Smartphone Accessory Detects HIV in 15 Minutes
1. Smartphone Medical Devices - The development of medical diagnosis tools that are compatible with smartphones offers a disruptive innovation opportunity for healthcare providers to improve patient diagnosis and care services on the go.
2. Low-cost Medical Devices - The production of low-cost medical diagnostic tools such as the Dongle device presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for healthcare providers to increase access to medical services for those in need, particularly in developing countries.
3. Rapid Diagnostic Testing - The advancements in diagnostic medical technology that allow for rapid testing, such as the Dongle device which can detect HIV in 15 minutes, presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for healthcare providers to improve patient treatment and reduce the spread of diseases.
1. Healthcare Industry - The healthcare industry can benefit from low-cost smartphone-compatible medical devices to improve patient diagnosis and treatment services, particularly in areas with limited healthcare resources.
2. Mobile Technology Industry - The development of medical diagnosis tools such as the Dongle device that is compatible with multiple smartphone platforms presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for the mobile technology industry to enhance mobile healthcare services and increase accessibility to medical services.
3. Medical Device Industry - The production of low-cost and rapid diagnostic medical tools such as the Dongle device presents a disruptive innovation opportunity for medical device companies to improve patient care, reduce the spread of diseases, and increase access to medical services in developing countries.