Sleep apnea is a condition where the throat passage can get blocked during sleep, disrupting breathing. In addition to breathing blockage, the condition can lead to heart problems, stroke and diabetes. Most sleep apnea solutions and treatments are expensive and uncomfortable, but a team of Australian researchers has developed a more practical 3D-printed solution.
The team used a 3D scanner to produce a 3D map of a patient's mouth, and then 3D-printed a custom-fit mouthpiece. The mouthpiece uses a combination of titanium and medical grade plastic.
The mouthpiece separates the patient's airflow into two distinct passages. It is fitted with a 'duckbill,' a titanium spout that protrudes out of the patient's mouth and allows for clear, unobstructed airflow to make contact with the back of the throat.
This ingenious sleep apnea solution was developed by Australia's Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation in collaboration with dental company Oventus.
This 3D-Printed Mouthpiece Helps Sleep Apnea Patients Breathe Better
1. Personalized Medical Devices - The use of 3D scanning and printing technology to create custom-fit medical devices such as sleep mouthpieces is a trend that is disrupting the medical industry by offering more practical solutions for complex health issues.
2. Integrated Materials - The combination of different materials, such as titanium and medical grade plastic, to create a single medical device is a trend that is disrupting the traditional manufacturing processes in the medical industry and offering new opportunities for enhancing functionality.
3. Home Healthcare - The development of low-cost, non-invasive, and easy-to-use healthcare solutions such as 3D-printed sleep mouthpieces is a trend that is disrupting the healthcare industry by offering patients more control over their healthcare needs.
1. Medical Devices - The use of 3D scanning and printing technology to create personalized medical devices is disrupting the traditional medical device industry by offering more practical and efficient solutions for complex health issues.
2. Dental - The collaboration between dental companies and scientific institutions to develop innovative healthcare solutions such as 3D-printed sleep mouthpieces is disrupting the traditional dental industry and offering new opportunities for enhancing patient care.
3. Manufacturing - The use of 3D printing technology and integrated materials in the production of medical devices such as sleep mouthpieces is disrupting the traditional manufacturing processes in the medical industry and offering new opportunities for customization, functionality, and cost savings.