The 90-year old art deco Peace Hotel, one of Shanghai’s landmarks, will be the most expensive hotel in the city after its renovation is completed next March.
The US$300 per night charge has a reason. According to its design house, Santa Monica-based Hirsch Bedner Associates, the main features, such as the “Nine Nations Suites” and sprung-timber dance floor, will be kept with some redesign work, and a sky-lit swimming pool and a luxury spa will be added.
The long-time covered glass ceiling on the first floor will be unveiled as an attraction of the redesigned lobby. Guests can also enjoy the Lalique crystals collection inherited from the former owner Victor Sassoon, a British-educated Iraqi Jewish.
Once famed as the “First building in the Far East” back to the 1920s, and hosted celebs like Charlie Chaplin and Noel Coward, the Peace Hotel is owned by Jin Jiang International Hotels Group, and will be managed by Fairmont Hotels & Resorts.
Shanghai's Historical Peace Hotel Ready to Reopen
1. Art Deco Revival - Opportunity for architectural firms and interior designers to tap into the growing demand for art deco-inspired designs in buildings and hotels.
2. Luxury Spa and Wellness - Potential for spa and wellness industry to partner with upscale hotels in offering luxury spa facilities and services.
3. Preservation and Restoration - Opportunity for companies specializing in historical preservation and restoration to work on iconic buildings and hotels, preserving their unique features while adding modern amenities.
1. Architecture - Disruptive innovation potential for architectural firms that blend historical preservation with contemporary design elements in restoring and renovating iconic structures.
2. Hospitality - Opportunity for luxury hotels to differentiate themselves by restoring historical landmarks and incorporating unique design features and amenities to create unique guest experiences.
3. Spa and Wellness - Disruptive innovation potential for the spa and wellness industry to collaborate with luxury hotels in creating innovative and relaxing spa experiences within historic settings.