The Rope Stool may be modeled after a musical instrument, but it does a good job of looking like a piece of furniture, albeit a unique one. Inspired by the janggu, the most widely used drum in Korean traditional music, the Rope Stool is held together by three ropes and a single dowel. Interestingly enough, it requires no other hardware or glue to keep it intact.
Designed by Minki Kim, the Rope Stool may not have the hourglass shape that the classic drum has, but it does feature a thin lip that recalls the top portion of the instrument. With the addition of the ropes, the stool is like a modernized version of the janggu, especially when it comes to color and materials. The Rope Stool will add much character in the home.
The Rope Stool by Minki Kim Was Modeled After Traditional Korean Instrument
1. Drum-inspired Furniture - Create furniture that is inspired by traditional musical instruments.
2. Minimal Hardware Designs - Develop designs that require minimal hardware or glue to assemble and reduce waste.
3. Unique Home Accents - Expanding the market for unique home accents that incorporate traditional elements.
1. Furniture Design - Add unique cultural aspects in furniture design and sustainability practices.
2. Home Decor - Develop products that perfectly fit into homes and offer aesthetics and functionality
3. Musical Instrument Design - Combine furniture design and musical instruments to create innovative products.