Ride-sharing apps like 'Uber' and 'Lyft' have gained tremendous international popularity. 'Mobike' is a new app that is capitalizing on this trend but still offering something innovative. Unlike Uber, this app will be focus on ride-sharing specifically for bikes. It is currently set to launch in China's most populated city Shanghai.
Mobike will give users the ability to check for available bikes in their area. Once a user finds the bike -- using the apps GPS -- they scan a QR code located on the bike to unlock it. The session will end when the user locks the bicycle to any bike rack in Shanghai. All the ride-sharing bikes are tracked by GPS and are immediately available for rental as soon as they are locked.
Ride-sharing apps for bikes have the potential to gain traction in major cities around the world where biking is a common way to commute (i.e. New York City, Mumbai, and Amsterdam). It would also appeal to eco-conscious consumers and benefit from the sustainability trend.
'Mobike' is the 'Uber' of Bicycles in Shanghai
1. Ride-sharing Bike Apps - The development of ride-sharing bike apps provides disruptive innovation opportunities for transportation, tourism, and healthcare industries by offering eco-friendly and cost-effective alternative transportation options.
2. GPS Tracking Technology - The use of GPS tracking technology in ride-sharing bike apps offer disruptive innovation opportunities for urban planning, transportation, and logistics industries by providing real-time data on usage patterns of bikes, bike safety, and bike rack locations.
3. Sustainability - Ride-sharing bike apps have disruptive innovation opportunities in the sustainability trend by providing eco-friendly and efficient alternative transportation solutions for individuals, government, and businesses worldwide.
1. Transportation - Ride-sharing bike apps disrupt the transportation industry by providing flexible and cost-effective transportation options that can reduce traffic congestion and carbon emissions.
2. Tourism - Ride-sharing bike apps have the potential to disrupt the tourism industry by providing travelers with alternative modes of transportation and promoting cycling culture in popular cities.
3. Sustainability - The sustainability industry can be disrupted through the use of ride-sharing bike apps as a way to promote eco-friendly transportation options that benefit individuals, businesses, and the environment.