An exhibit featuring 33 one-of-a-kind religious Barbies has been cancelled due to death threats. Although this doesn't come as too much of a shock considering how touchy a subject matter religion is, the creativity behind the religious Barbies is something that would have been appreciated better in person.
The uproar is due to a misunderstanding, according to the artists, Emiliano Paolini and Marianela Perelli: “The true message of our work was mutilated by magazines and television. That’s a shame. The media is killing our art.” While questions of taste and faith have been raised by Argentine Catholic Priests, Italian Bishops and Hindu Clerics, the religious Barbies were created as "additional portrayals in the canon of religious iconography," Beautiful Decay writes. The religious Barbies represent Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and Argentine folk religion.
The Buenos Aires Exhibit is Cancelled Due to Death Threats
1. Controversial Barbies - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The controversy surrounding the religious Barbies opens up the opportunity for the creation of more inclusive and diverse doll lines that represent a variety of religions and faiths.
2. Religious Iconography - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The concept of incorporating religious iconography into mainstream culture can inspire the development of new products and art forms that blend traditional religious symbols with modern aesthetics.
3. Media Manipulation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The misunderstanding and misrepresentation of the artists' work by the media highlights the need for innovative platforms or technologies that prioritize accurate and ethical reporting.
1. Toy Manufacturing - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Toy manufacturers can capitalize on the controversy by creating a lineup of dolls that represent various religions and foster inclusivity and cultural understanding.
2. Art and Sculpture - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Artists and sculptors can explore the integration of religious iconography into their work, creating thought-provoking pieces that challenge traditional perceptions of faith.
3. Media and Journalism - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The media industry can benefit from advancements in technology or ethical frameworks that promote responsible reporting and accurate portrayal of sensitive subjects.