Aurora has recently received permission from the California Public Utilities Commission to give the public rides on its autonomous vehicles as part of the Autonomous Vehicle Passenger Services test. The company released a statement about the importance of the new permit, “This permit lets us give rides powered by the Aurora Driver and shows that we’re committed to being good partners to California and the Commission.”
However, the permit has some conditions for offering public rides. Firstly the company is not allowed to charge a monetary value for the rides, and the company also needs to have a driver present during test rides.
The permit will extend until the end of 2023, and it makes Aurora one of 65 companies that are authorized to test autonomous vehicles on roads in the state.
Image Credit: Aurora
Aurora Offers Public Rides on Autonomous Vehicles in California
1. Autonomous Vehicle Passenger Services - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop autonomous vehicle services that cater to the needs and preferences of passengers.
2. Public Rides on Autonomous Vehicles - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create immersive and engaging experiences for the public during autonomous vehicle rides.
3. California Autonomous Vehicle Test Permits - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Build innovative technologies and systems for safe and efficient autonomous vehicle testing.
1. Transportation - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Revolutionize the transportation industry by integrating autonomous vehicles into public and private transportation systems.
2. Technology - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Develop cutting-edge technologies, sensors, and software for autonomous vehicles to enhance their safety and performance.
3. Hospitality - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Create unique hospitality experiences and services for passengers during autonomous vehicle rides.