Raising awareness about such important and serious issues as sexually transmitted diseases doesn't have to involve tired explanations or dark and depressing advertisements; the PATH 2013 Fashion Show accomplishes a lot in a fun and lighthearted manner. It involved the creation of one-of-a-kind dresses made out of female condoms.
With participants from the New York Fashion Academy, Planned Parenthood, and PATH’s very own staff, the PATH 2013 Fashion Show was very successful. A total of 11 dresses were designed, each with its own twist on the female condom. Kimberley Whipkey, head of advocacy and communications for the project, says, "Some people were coming down on the disease angle, others were like, 'I’m totally going to glam this up.' There was one baby blue chiffon dress that looked like it was ready to go to a ball."
The PATH 2013 Fashion Show Raises Awareness of STD Protection
1. Fashion for a Cause - The use of fashion as a medium to raise awareness of health issues, driving the need for community engagement on health issues.
2. Innovative Public Health, Awareness Campaigns - The use of creative and fun methods to raise awareness of public health issues and promote prevention.
3. Sustainable and Eco-friendly Fashion - The focus on creating eco-friendly and sustainable dresses, showcasing how environmental concerns are increasingly important in fashion.
1. Fashion - The fashion industry has the opportunity to use its platform to raise awareness of important issues, thereby driving social responsibility while maintaining relevance.
2. Healthcare - The healthcare industry can innovate the manner in which it communicates important health messages to drive involvement and awareness.
3. Public Relations - The public relations industry can enhance the promotion of awareness campaigns by focusing on more innovative and creative approaches.