Paro, a baby robot seal, is the newest innovation in animal therapy. Designed to help the sick and the elderly, this baby seal even comes equipped with an electronic pacifier.
Animal therapy has been a proven healing aid for the elderly and hospital patients and is commonly used for uplifting patients' spirits.
Paro is also able to express real emotions such as happiness and anger as it reacts to human interactions.
Implications - This cuddly creature provides someone suffering and bedridden with a source of entertainment, and something to care for. It gives them hope, and may alleviate their suffering.
Paro the Mechanical Baby Seal Helps Sick & Elderly Heal
1. Robot Therapy Animals - Opportunity for industries to create more robot therapy animals that can provide emotional support and comfort for people who are sick or elderly.
2. Emotional Robotics - Opportunity for industries to create more robots that can express real emotions and engage with humans to provide emotional support.
3. Age-friendly Technology - Opportunity for industries to develop more age-friendly technologies that can improve the quality of life for the elderly and those suffering from illness.
1. Healthcare - Opportunity for the healthcare industry to incorporate more animal therapy and emotional support robots into their treatments and practices.
2. Robotics - Opportunity for the robotics industry to invest in emotional robotics and develop more robots that can express emotions and interact with humans in a supportive capacity.
3. Entertainment - Opportunity for the entertainment industry to create more age-friendly technologies that are both entertaining and provide caregiving or emotional support to the elderly and those suffering from illness.