This artificial island near Cocos Islands off mainland Australia was constructed from reclaimed ocean plastic. Connected floating walkways position the island infrastructure by tethering it to the ocean floor. The ocean plastic is trapped by these walkways and tied together to create a surface onto which sand and sediment are used to grow mangroves whose roots prevent flooding and strengthen the island's structure. The island grows with its inhabitants who reach its shore by boat. A lightweight tensile canopy offers sleeping quarters. Otherwise, the island provides a camping ground.
Ocean current simulation software identifies patterns of plastic pollution migrating and circulating through ocean current pathways. These clusters of ocean pollutants and their collection and filtering are the main design criteria involved in the location and evolution of the island and its formal manifestation.
Image Credit: Margot Krasojevic
This Artificial Island is Made From Reclaimed Ocean Plastic
1. Upcycling Ocean Plastic - Innovative ways to use reclaimed ocean plastic for construction are emerging, creating new business opportunities for companies that can develop cost-effective and scalable methods.
2. Sustainable Island Tourism - The idea of environmentally-friendly ocean trash island resorts can disrupt the traditional tourism industry and create a new frontier for eco-tourism companies.
3. Ocean Pollution Detection and Clean-up Technology - The use of ocean current simulation software and collection systems to identify and remove ocean pollutants can be a profitable area for companies that develop and sell these technologies.
1. Construction - Construction companies can seize the opportunity to create new and innovative ways to use reclaimed ocean plastic materials.
2. Tourism - Eco-tourism companies can pioneer the idea of ocean trash island resorts and offer sustainable vacation options.
3. Clean Technology - Clean tech companies can develop and market ocean pollution detection and clean-up technologies to combat plastic pollution and improve the environmental impact of tourism.