Opposing the general mentality of programs such as The Biggest Loser and Extreme Weight Loss, the 'Nothing to Lose' project celebrates fat bodies as perfect in their own right.
The project was the brainchild of choreographer Kat Champion and fat activist Kelli Jean Drinkwater, who teamed up with photographer Toby Burrows to confront the censorship and erasure of fat bodies from the media. Bodies of all shapes and sizes are on display in Nothing To Lose; and more than simply being visible, the dancers delight in taking action and making movement. Whether leaping, jumping or pirouetting in front of Burrows' lens, the dancers free their bodies from constriction, restraint and prejudice.
Despite the political nature of the project, Burrows considers his work more of a testament to each body. “It was about capturing a unique and unexpected series of images that creates an interest and discussion. Isn't this the purpose of art?”
Toby Burrows Photographs Fat Dancers for the Nothing to Lose Project
1. Body Positivity - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Develop inclusive and diverse advertising campaigns that celebrate bodies of all shapes and sizes.
2. Fat Activism - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Create platforms and resources to amplify the voices of fat activists and challenge societal norms around body image.
3. Artistic Representation - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Explore unconventional and thought-provoking ways to represent bodies through art to foster discussions and challenge existing narratives.
1. Fashion - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Design and produce inclusive clothing lines that cater to a wide range of body sizes and shapes.
2. Entertainment - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Create diverse and representative content in entertainment media that challenges stereotypes and promotes inclusivity.
3. Photography - Disruptive Innovation Opportunity: Redefine beauty standards in photography by capturing and showcasing a diverse range of bodies in artistic and empowering ways.