Photographer Niki Feijen knows that beauty isn’t necessarily always pristine and intact; in his series ‘Disciples of Decay,’ the artist captures abandoned and deteriorating spaces throughout Western Europe.
Each photograph tells a fraction of a story of its former occupants and prompts the viewer to wonder why the spaces were abandoned in the first place. Indeed, it’s hard to imagine why anyone would willingly desert such beautiful places. However, the decay is part of what endears the viewer to these spooky photographs.
The series definitely has an eerie, spine-chilling quality about it; perhaps even a supernatural element. Even if you don’t believe in ghosts or spirits, the empty, desolate nature of the photographs lends itself to a haunted aesthetic that cannot be denied.
Niki Feijen's 'Decay' series is Endearingly Spooky
1. Abandoned Architecture Photography - Opportunity to create hauntingly beautiful art by capturing abandoned and deteriorating spaces.
2. Disciples of Decay - Exploring the allure of decay and abandonment through photography, creating a sense of mystery and storytelling.
3. Haunted Aesthetic - Tapping into the fascination with the eerie and supernatural, creating visually captivating and spine-chilling imagery.
1. Photography - Opportunity for photographers to specialize in capturing abandoned and decaying spaces, creating unique and emotive visuals.
2. Art and Design - Chance for artists and designers to examine the beauty in decay and abandonment, creating thought-provoking and atmospheric pieces.
3. Hospitality and Tourism - Opportunity to repurpose abandoned spaces into haunted attractions, providing thrilling experiences for visitors.