An announcement was recently made that the United Airlines international terminal at Newark airport will receive a design make-over, one food enthusiasts will surely love. The plans were released from the world-famous architectural firm David Rockwell Group, who have done design work from the Academy Awards to JFK's Jet Blue terminal in New York City.
The blueprint "looks more like a foodie theme park than an airport terminal" according to Sophie Weiner of Fast Company's CoDesign. The Newark airport terminal redesign focuses on the traveler's experience by featuring fancy restaurants and similar amenities. This also encourages people passing through to spend more money while waiting for their flight compared to other transportation stations.
In an effort to make the long narrow hallways more memorable, David Rockwell Group hopes to create intimate spaces and exuberant scenery.
The United Airlines Terminal at Newark Airport is Getting a Reboot
1. Foodie Airports - Airports are redesigning their terminals to enhance the culinary experience, offering opportunities for food and beverage companies to partner with airports to create unique dining options.
2. Experience-driven Spaces - Design firms are creating airport environments that are centered around providing memorable experiences, encouraging the creation of new tech and experiences that cater to travelers' needs.
3. Airport Retail Innovations - Airports are offering more retail options to travelers, providing opportunities for retailers to create new shops and brands around the unique traveler's needs and pain-points.
1. Airport Design Industry - The design and architecture industry is evolving to cater to the increasing demand for experience-driven airport environments with unique spaces, technology, and dining options.
2. Food and Beverage Industry - The food and beverage industry is partnering with airport terminals to create novel and culturally diverse dining experiences that cater to the needs of the traveler, creating new revenue streams in airports.
3. Retail Industry - The retail industry is rethinking airport storefronts to better cater to the needs and unique requirements of travelers, providing opportunities to create custom retail expressions or collaborate with companies that specialize in airport retail.