Thanks to the Nelson browser application, Spotify Premium users can now customize and adjust the streaming platform's recommendation algorithm. The easy to use application presents users with several sliders that each represent the audio features that guide the Spotify algorithm. From there, users can manipulate these sliders to change and affect the outcome of the recommendations playlist. The sliders are separated into various categories, including popularity, tempo, energy, acousticness, danceability, instrumentalness, liveness and spechiness. The system may seem complex, but each variable is fairly easy to understand and users can easily discover the qualities they find most appealing.
the Nelson browser application raises two interesting points for the music streaming platform. The first, gives users insight into how Spotify recommendations work, and the variables that the AI uses to discover music. The second, gives Spotify another sense of customization as users can now further tailor their experiences in the streaming system.
Image Credit: Gizmodo, The Verge
The Nelson Browser App Gives Users a Look at Spotify's AI
1. User-customized Algorithms - The ability to customize algorithms to fit user preferences creates opportunities for other platforms to implement similar features.
2. Transparency in AI Recommendations - Providing users with insight into how an AI algorithm works can build trust with users and potentially improve the overall experience.
3. User-influenced Recommendations - Empowering users to have an active role in the recommendation process can increase engagement with a platform and create a more personalized experience.
1. Music Streaming Services - Other music streaming services may consider implementing similar customizable algorithms to attract and retain users.
2. Artificial Intelligence - Furthering research and development in transparent AI systems can create trust with users and improve the overall use of AI in various industries.
3. User Experience Design - Empowering users to have a more active role in the design of a platform can create a higher level of satisfaction and loyalty.