Rural Design Architects created the modern Black House, a recreation of Scotland's vernacular architecture. The house pulls inspiration from the traditional "blackhouses" in the area, but brings forward a high-end, modern finish. The name is not based on the actual black hue of the house, but the self-made construction and understated materials.
The interior is filled with cement floors, plywood walls and exposed duct-work for a loft-like utilitarian style. The large windows offer views of the beautiful surroundings of the Isle of Skye from each room. This innovative take on the modern Black House was made to show the world its heroically self-built structure by using basic materials and hard work to create a shelter for the entire family.
Image Credit: Nigel Rigden, Rural Design Architects
Rural Design Architects Created the Modern Black House in Scotland
1. Modern Black House Design - Opportunity for architects and designers to create contemporary dwellings inspired by traditional vernacular architecture.
2. Understated Luxury - The use of simple, humble materials combined with high-end finishes creates a unique aesthetic for modern homes.
3. Loft-like Utilitarian Style - A design trend that embraces exposed elements, such as cement floors, plywood walls, and visible ductwork, for a modern and functional living space.
1. Architecture and Design Industry - An opportunity for architects and designers to explore innovative approaches that blend traditional elements with contemporary aesthetics in homes and buildings.
2. Construction Industry - The demand for recreating modern black houses and implementing understated luxury can drive new construction projects and innovative construction techniques.
3. Interior Design Industry - Interior designers can capitalize on the loft-like utilitarian style trend by incorporating exposed elements and creating unique living spaces that balance simplicity and luxury.