Michelle Obama is the envy on every fashionista this month. 35 illustrations of different gowns for the Obama’s inauguration have surfaced, sketched by today’s hautest designers, and just about all are breathtaking.
We featured three images in November, but now that the inauguration date is drawing nearer, we have come across a more extensive selection. My favourite Michelle Obama inauguration gown choices are seen above, dresses custom designed by Betsey Johnson, Badgley Mischka, Monique Lhuillier, Isaac Mizrahi, Carolina Herrera, Karl Lagerfeld (for Chanel), Diane Von Furstenberg, Christian Lacroix (x2) and Peter Som.
“Throughout the campaign, the first lady-to-be has avoided all major names save Narciso Rodriguez, while showing a proclivity for locals (Chicago’s Maria Pinto), young types (Thakoon; Jason Wu) and cost-conscious labels (Donna Ricco; J. Crew),” WWD points out.
“Nevertheless, just about everyone yearns to dress Michelle, who could raise the profile of American fashion around the world. Yet with the exception of Maria Cornejo, her current favorites, as well as a few majors, declined WWD’s request for sketches.”
Check out my 10 favourite gown sketches for Michelle Obama above.
35 Designers Sketch for Michelle Obama
1. Custom Designed Gowns - Disruptive innovation opportunity: There is a growing trend for designers to create custom-designed gowns for high-profile events, offering a unique and personalized fashion experience.
2. Support for Local and Young Designers - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The preference for supporting local and young designers presents an opportunity for emerging talent to gain visibility and establish themselves in the fashion industry.
3. Raising the Profile of American Fashion - Disruptive innovation opportunity: Michelle Obama's influence in raising the profile of American fashion globally opens doors for American designers to showcase their creativity and craftsmanship on an international scale.
1. Fashion Design - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The demand for custom-designed gowns and support for local and young designers creates opportunities for fashion designers to explore innovative design concepts and reach new markets.
2. Retail - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The increased interest in designer gowns and American fashion presents opportunities for retailers to collaborate with designers or stock exclusive collections that cater to the demand.
3. Event Planning - Disruptive innovation opportunity: The trend of custom-designed gowns for high-profile events offers event planners an opportunity to collaborate with designers to curate unique fashion experiences for clients.