Bike safety is becoming a priority for many designers as more and more people choose this form of transportation for its cost effectiveness, health benefits and environmental friendliness; the LumaHelm is the latest creation. The LumaHelm is an interactive LED helmet designed especially for cyclists. Equipped with strips of lights and sensors, the LumaHelm allows the biker to signal more emphatically what he or she is about to do.
Designed by an Exertion Games Lab creative team made up of Wouter Walmink, Alan Chatham and Floyd Mueller at RMIT University in Australia, the LumaHelm boasts a Arduino Uno microcontroller. Fitted with an accelerometer, the LumaHelm allows cyclists to indicate which direction they plan on turning with a simple tilt of their head while stopping requires motioning it back slightly.
The LumaHelm for Bikers Helps Signal Where They are Going
1. Bike Safety - Opportunity for innovative solutions to enhance safety for cyclists through interactive technologies, such as LED helmets.
2. Interactive Wearables - Growing trend of integrating technology into clothing and accessories to enable interactive experiences, as seen in the LumaHelm.
3. Smart Transportation - Emerging trend of using technology to improve transportation systems, with the LumaHelm showcasing the potential for enhancing communication between cyclists and other road users.
1. Cycling Industry - Opportunity for manufacturers and retailers to develop and market advanced safety gear, like the LumaHelm, to cater to the growing demand for bike safety products.
2. Wearable Technology Industry - Disruptive opportunity to create interactive wearable devices, such as LED helmets, that integrate seamlessly into everyday life and serve practical purposes.
3. Smart Cities Industry - Innovation opportunity for urban planners and transportation companies to incorporate smart technologies into cycling infrastructure, enhancing safety and communication.