The New Central Library in Calgary is exceptionally elegant and visually striking. The exterior of the building boasts a crystalline aesthetic that plays with the opaqueness of materials, while the interior proves to be incredibly welcoming and warm due to its wooden properties. The vast wood-line atrium is highlighted by Dezeen as a noteworthy element of design. The structure is conceived through the partnership of architecture firm Snøhetta and Dialog. With their design, the two studios aimed to "evoke a chinook" which is a natural atmospheric phenomenon.
The new library in Calgary opened its doors to the public on November 1st. The accessible educational establishment includes the city's literature collection and grants citizens with a space for events and workshops.
Photo Credits: Michael Grimm
Snøhetta & Dialog Collaborated on the Public Library in Calgary
1. Wooden-accented Libraries - Opportunity for incorporating wooden accents in libraries to create visually striking and warm spaces.
2. Crystalline Aesthetics - Potential for using opaqueness of materials to create visually stunning architectural designs.
3. Wood-line Atriums - Opportunity to utilize wood-lined atriums as a noteworthy element of interior design.
1. Architecture - Innovative designs in architecture can incorporate wooden accents and crystalline aesthetics.
2. Library Services - Library services can benefit from incorporating visually striking designs and wood-lined atriums to create welcoming spaces.
3. Event Management - Event management industry can explore the use of elegant libraries with wooden properties as event venues and workshop spaces.