Joris Laarman is a Dutch designer who is currently showcasing his work at the Friedman Benda Gallery. "For the installation, the artist employs cutting-edge tools – from CNC mills to 3D printers – to enable new shapes, fabrication and methods, manifested through an intersection between technology and craftsmanship," as stated on DesignBoom.
Laarman really wanted to demonstrate just how much influence digital technology has on people's everyday lives with this collection, so he focused on creating items in unconventional ways. However, even though these methods are new now, in a decade they could be commonplace. These are the types of thoughts Laarman was hoping to evoke amongst visitors at the exhibition. He also states that his aim is for other artists to push the boundaries of what can be done with this new technology.
Photo Credits: designboom, friedmanbenda
Joris Laarman Presents His Work at the Friedman Benda Gallery
1. Digital Fabrication - Laarman's exhibit showcases the intersection of technology and craftsmanship, presenting the opportunity for new methods in fabrication through use of cutting-edge tools like 3D printers and CNC mills.
2. Unconventional Creation - Laarman's focus on creating items in unconventional ways through digital fabrication methods opens the door for artists and designers to push boundaries and think outside the box, presenting an opportunity for disruptive innovation in various industries.
3. Influence of Technology - Laarman's exhibit encourages visitors to consider the influence of digital technology on everyday life, creating an opportunity for disruptive innovation in industries that strive to incorporate advancements in technology into their products and services.
1. Art and Design - Laarman's exhibit showcases new methods in digital fabrication, presenting an opportunity for artists and designers to push the boundaries of their craft and incorporate advanced technologies into their work.
2. Manufacturing - Laarman's use of 3D printing and CNC mills presents an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the manufacturing industry, allowing for more efficient and customizable production methods.
3. Technology - Laarman's exhibit highlights the influence of technology on everyday life, creating an opportunity for disruptive innovation in the tech industry to continue to advance and improve products and services.